Welcome to Aberdeen Tramps and Ither Weel Kent Fowk! Make yourself comfy on that park bench, grab your bottle of Buckfast and find out who's hot and who's not in the ever-changing world of the vomit encrusted streets of Aberdeen!

Street Entertainers will be recognised at last!
Religious Fanatics outside Markies will know someone is listening!
And our colourful tramps will no longer be forgotten!

Join me in my fond remeniscence of The Granite City's most colourful characters and street entertainers - for I'm sure you'll all agree a good political rant or a singing tramp is as worthy of a cheering crowd as the best buskers...

Monday, December 06, 2004

The Gilcomston Tramp (aka My Favourite Tramp)

Well on Saturday I went off into town with my digital camera. Off I went down Union Street, hoping to find someone of note.

Of course I got distracted by Christmas Shopping and I didn't make it down to "Ootside Markies" (which is practically a goldmine when it comes to hunting for Weel Kent Fowk) until it was dark. And I didn't fancy using my flash just in case I was rumbled as not just taking photos of lovely granite buildings!

Instead, while it was still dark, I headed straight for where I knew I would find what I was looking for. I headed for Gilcomston Church.

Now it's very seldom that you can describe a building, or perhaps a street, just using the tramps that sit around it. I was once taken to Tramp Park in Manchester by a lovely young man and would recommend it to anyone taking a tour of that fine city! In fact, it was twice this weekend when directions needed to be given and My Favourite Tramp came in handy as a point of location.

"Where is "The Filling Station"?" Go down Union Street from Holburn and it's just after the church with the tramp outside it.
"Ah yes! I know the one you mean!
"Which one is Summer Street?" You know the street that goes up the side of the church with the tramp outside it?
"Aaah yes! The one with the tramp!"

And here he is in his natural habitat:


My Favourite Tramp

posted by Aberdeen Tramps | Monday, December 06, 2004


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Gilcomston tramp is called Ross. His other tramp friend spoke to us in the pub a few weeks back. told us they were up in court for drinking alcoholic substances in the street. Apparently they didn't know this was illegal!

November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just want to say that the website is amazing,i loved reading the viewrs coments and finding outt all this information, as are you i imagine. would love to see more posts and more photos of aberdeen and its best know charachters. there are so many more to write about, like the guy eho was just arested for murdering and cutting some poor girls breast off and filming it, he was always drinking on union street, normally cherry lambrine. it was the flats on huntley street behind somerfield on union street.

January 02, 2009  
Blogger Alan said...

Remembering working with a guy called Ross , Looks very similiar to him , Went to hell with drink , He came from glasgow. Does this guy have a glasgow accent , Can anyone tell me please

March 01, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This man is a local icon.He is a rare breed and will chat to anyone.He was married and has a family,living locally "life" made him turn to booze and contarly to belief he does have a house!

October 22, 2009  
Anonymous Liam said...

My mate works nearby this guy. I have seen him around since 1994 when I was at secondry school. I sometimes see him
outside soul bar on the bench.

I am reliably informed he is an ex-soldier who is on military pension but cannot work so drinks his days away. He never seems to be in a mess but merely watches the world go by!

Ps. Am loving the website

November 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home