Welcome to Aberdeen Tramps and Ither Weel Kent Fowk! Make yourself comfy on that park bench, grab your bottle of Buckfast and find out who's hot and who's not in the ever-changing world of the vomit encrusted streets of Aberdeen!

Street Entertainers will be recognised at last!
Religious Fanatics outside Markies will know someone is listening!
And our colourful tramps will no longer be forgotten!

Join me in my fond remeniscence of The Granite City's most colourful characters and street entertainers - for I'm sure you'll all agree a good political rant or a singing tramp is as worthy of a cheering crowd as the best buskers...

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Squeak

Squeak.

Squeak.

Squeaky F**king Squeak Squeak Squeak.

I'm sure you ALL know who I'm talking about. Perhaps there isn't actually any need to go on. But I shall. Squeak was one of Aberdeen's most persistant street artists - a fine quine of admirable robotic movements that would stand outside Markies on her "plinth" entertaining the fine folk of the Granite City with her impression of an android that's got a dog's chew toy stuck in it's throat.

She was dressed all in white from her white leg warmers and wooly tights (sorry, but I have to back her up here... Aberdeen is bloody cold at times) to her skirt made out of lace curtain screens and her sparkly white and silvery top, to her goth-white robotic face.

And boy... Did she squeak. I remember being in the Clydesdale applying for my mortgage. Everything was going very well until Squeak came back from lunch and once again took her plinth. At this point the nice Clydesdale lady made a face I've only ever seen in films where someone is suffering Chinese Water Torture. Squeaky Squeaky. Squeaky Squeaky. Squeak. Squeak. Squeaaaaaaaaaak. Poor bank lady couldn't get out of the mortgage interview room quick enough! Actually... considering the state of the flat I moved in to, I should maybe track Squeak down and thank her for her assistance in pushing my mortgage through...

Sadly, she's either Squeaking in another lucky city, far from here or has gone and gotten herself a proper job, as I've not seen her about Aberdeen for a long, long time...

posted by Aberdeen Tramps | Thursday, September 22, 2005


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Having lived in Aberdeenshire for the first 16 years of my life, and the last four have been in Texas (which is on its way to a grand-slam from hurricane Rita.)
I have to say, reading about Squeaks brought back many fond memories of walking out of the St.Nicholas centre and wondering why an albino clown-lady was squeaking at folks. Ah yes, fond memories indeed. I also recall the day my mum was accosted by White Heather lady but that's another tale for another day.

Keep up the vigilance! =) Even o'er here in Texas, someone cares about our colorful residents of Aberdeen!!

- Samantha C.

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Aberdeen Tramps said...

Thanks for the comment Samantha! And good luck with Rita!

September 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I hated that one. I loathe street theatre in any form but harbour particularly strong antipathies towards mime artists. I used to see her with a school kid, who appeared to be either her child or certainly a kid for whom she had responsibility. The poor wee soul looked understandably mortified.

October 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's in Glasgow now!

Saw her the other day outside Markies in the middle of Sauchiehall street and had to stop and stare in disbelief. The costume has changed a bit from what I remember from my days back in the Granite City, but it was the same act, squeaking and everything, so most likely the original rather than a tribute!

January 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to see her sometimes going home on the Fraserburgh bus, looking very weird with white facepaint but minus the hat.

April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I remember her going home on the Fraserburgh bus too!! but no squeak; thank goodness!!

November 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mental robot wifie stays in mintlaw!!

October 27, 2008  
Blogger UK_in_UK said...

I lived in Aberdeen from 1992 until 2003. I loved Squeek but my daughter who was born in '95 was always scared of her. Wonder what she is doing now.

December 16, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home